Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Streets of Whiterun — The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim OST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo3VAltxlr8

I don't know a thing about the game this song is from. I don't know the world or the characters or the plot; I don't know the history or the scope of the game, whether it's meant to be epic or dramatic or tongue-in-cheek. I don't know if this music is in-game or out-of-game; whether it's dramatic to match the plot or the location; whether it's regional music which changes as you move about, or whether it's a constant theme. All I know is that it's powerful music, evocative even without specifics, painting a landscape and a time and a place, like an old movie or a new movie made to look old; worn, with history, family, wars; epic but personal, deep and moving and spiritual and intimate, and full of tricks. How can a song evoke all this with just musical structure? How much of it is based on our society's conventionalities? Are minor chords always sad? Do the deep strings remind me of nature, but others of high society?

No comments:

Post a Comment