Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Donovan's Colours — Van Dyke Parks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hzCw0_E_nOc

I'll be the first to admit that my music tastes are skewed top-heavily towards the last twenty years - my parents were never lifelong devotees of any particular bands, and we haven't had a record player as long as I've been alive. I ended up mostly self-educating myself with contemporary groups, with only a passing familiarity of anything before 1990. So it's usually tough for me to seriously relate to music before my time - I sink in the quicksand of "how can I relate to this when I wasn't even alive?", turning over old songs in my head like antiques that just didn't age very well. But this song is one of the first I've heard in a long time that really captivated for me. It's whimsical without it being funny; a little unorthodox-sounding, but not in a dismissible way. It's the soundtrack to a spring fair or a movie montage or a jaunt through idyllic realms, and it's also fascinating in itself: it pinballs between all kinds of moods, it weaves through its melodies without retreading on itself. It's a song that reminds me of my own short-sightedness in this context, something way out of left field that's not only charming but truly evocative too.

No comments:

Post a Comment